How did you discover glycolic acid cream? Did you hear about it from a friend? Was it part of your go-to beauty store’s recommendations? Did you, perhaps, come across it while replenishing your skincare supplies? Regardless of how you learned about it, the fact that you were made aware of its presence speaks volume about its growing popularity in the industry.
So, why not add it to your skincare regimen?
If lack of knowledge about glycolic acid is what’s holding you back from it, this article can help you out. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about glycolic acid products and their answers.
What is glycolic acid?
Glycolic acid is a natural substance typically found in sugar canes and sour milk. It is one of the Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), active compounds that dermatologists recommend for their anti-aging and exfoliating properties. Other AHAs include citric acid, lactic acid, and malic acid.
How does glycolic acid work?
Glycolic acid speeds up the cell regeneration process. Here’s how.
- Glycolic acid has the tiniest molecules among AHAs which means it can penetrate the skin deeply and effortlessly.
- Once applied, it works on the topmost layer of your skin. It dissolves the various substances that bind and hold cells together.
- The skin cells die once they are separated.
- Once the dead skin cells are sloughed off, the glycolic acid stimulates the production of collagen in your skin. Collagen is the natural protein responsible for your skin’s elasticity, firmness, and plumpness.
Natural collagen production diminishes as you age. Using products that contain glycolic acid, like bleaching cream and anti-aging lotion, helps.
What are the benefits of using glycolic acid cream?
Glycolic acid creams are incredibly popular due to its many skin benefits. Here are some of them.
- It decreases pore size.
- It helps remove fine wrinkles.
- It has many anti-aging properties.
- It improves the skin’s hydration levels.
- It makes the skin firmer and plumper.
- It reduces skin dullness and oiliness.
- It enhances the skin’s texture and complexion.
- It prevents the development of acne and blackheads.
- It lightens dark discolorations left behind by acne or other skin wounds.
If you’re after a specific benefit, opt for a product that focuses on that particular purpose. For example, if you want to enhance your skin’s tone and texture, choose a glycolic acid lotion.
Aside from creams, where else can I find glycolic acid?
There is no shortage of glycolic acid-containing skincare products today. You can find them in lotions, masks, cleansers, toners, and moisturizers. You can also them in most variations of bleaching cream.
What should I watch out for when using glycolic acid products?
Skincare products always have a few risks. Fortunately, responsible usage can prevent them. Even though glycolic acid is a fairly safe and effective component, it would still pay to know how to keep your skin safe when applying it.
Always test your glycolic acid lotion on a small portion of your skin before slathering yourself up with it. It will help your skin adjust to the product. Also, follow the application instructions.
Now that you know the essentials of glycolic acid products, what’s holding you back from enjoying their benefits? Integrate them into your skincare regimen today!