Gone are the days when tooth replacement procedures are limited to loose dentures and restrictive bridges. Nowadays, patients can enjoy a longer-lasting fix in the form of dental implants and orthodontics. A dentist in Laguna Niguel shares interesting facts about these treatments to shed some light on their amazing benefits.
Interesting Facts about Dental Implants
Did you know that dental implants have been around since ancient times? Typically installed after death, they were used for cosmetic purposes and used bamboo, seashells, copper, iron, gold, and other materials. Here are other interesting facts about dental implants:
- Titanium, the material used for implant posts, is often used for military and space applications. As metal that is lighter but stronger than steel, titanium is a common component of space shuttles, guided missiles, and tank armor plating.
- Dental implants can last your lifetime and beyond. With proper care, dental implants stay in shape after death, like natural teeth.
- Dental implants do not damage natural teeth. Unlike dentures that use the remaining natural teeth as support, dental implants are surgically fixed to the jaw. Hence, they do not affect the adjacent natural teeth.
- Dental implants are cavity-proof. Dental implants in Orange County use high-quality ceramic crowns. They are impervious to tooth decay, which effectively prevents tooth cavities.
- Dental implant post stimulates bone growth in your jaw. Titanium promotes bone growth, which eventually fuses the implant with the bone of the jaw.
- Dental implants feel and function like real teeth. Unlike dentures that become loose over time, dental implants maintain full functionality with proper care. They also look and feel like the real thing, paving the way to that picture-perfect smile.
Interesting Facts About Orthodontics
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis, prevention, and correction of misaligned teeth. Here are some fascinating facts about it:
- The metal used to make braces is not magnetic. Nickel-titanium wire, a highly flexible, non-magnetic metal alloy developed by NASA, is used to form braces.
- The cement that sticks the brackets to your teeth is useful for your teeth. It releases fluoride, which is fights tooth decay and helps teeth rebuild weakened tooth enamel.
- Metal wires are not the only way to straighten your teeth. Consult with your orthodontist in Mission, Viejo, to learn more about orthodontic materials and determine the best one for your needs.
- Braces are not just for straightening your teeth. They can also solve problems with speaking, breathing, chewing, swallowing, and other issues.
- Braces are applicable for both young and old alike. There is no age restriction for braces. It just so happens that the majority of brace wearers are teenagers. Talk to your dental specialist to learn more about qualifying for braces.
Learn More About Dental Treatments from Experts
Talk to a dentist in Laguna Niguel to learn more about teeth alignment problems and treatments. No matter what kind of dental problem you have, your specialist will help you find the proper solution for it, whether in the form of implants, braces, and other treatments.
Don’t hesitate to ask questions or clarify points whenever necessary. Your dental specialist will be more than happy to address your queries.